Tamil Nadu is one of the most industrialised states in the country and also a favourable destination for investors. Considering the scope for plastic and allied industries, Government of Tamil Nadu took initiative to promote “Polymer Industries Park” exclusively for housing plastic and allied industries by dovetailing the grant available under centrally sponsored “Scheme for setting up of Polymer Parks” of Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals (DC&PC), Government of India.
Tamilnadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO) & SIPCOT Jointly formed a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) in the name of “Tamilnadu Polymer Industries Park Ltd (TPIPL)” for setting up of the park. The SPV identified 265.66 acres of land in Puzhudivakkam and Voyalur Villages, Thiruvallur District close to Ennore Port which is in possession of TIDCO for the establishment of the park.
- Tamil Nadu is a leader amongst the south Indian states in terms of plastics production and consumption.
- More than 9 lakh tonne Plastics consumption in Tamil Nadu.
- Approx. Rs.18,000 crore revenue generated by plastics related business in the State.
- More than 10 lakh Direct and indirect employment provided by 8000+ small and medium enterprises.
- Plastic manufacturers from Chennai are known for specialty plastics and especially those for automobile, electronic, hardware sectors, etc.
Demand Potential for the Park
A three pronged consultations were carried out detailed study on the project and the same is presented below:
- A total of 353 players were contacted which included a mixture of units in Chennai, Tamil Nadu and outside the state of varied sizes (Large, medium and small).
- Of the listed players, 64% of the units have responded. Of which 33% have shown interest and 3% have given their letter of intent.
- So far 10 enterprises have shown interest for occupying 28 acres in the proposed park and the list of organizations is tabulated below:
- The study shows that the prospective units are very conscious of land cost and they expect the allotment rate in the range of Rs.120.00 to Rs.130.00 lakhs per acre.
- The Tamil Nadu Plastic Manufacturers Association (TAPMA) and All India Plastic Manufacturers Association (AIPMA) were also consulted and are interested in motivating their members to consider the proposed Plastic Industries Park. AIPMA has agreed to enter into an MOU to bring in their members into the Plastic Industries Park.
- Demand Assessment shows that plastic units which are in export business and using imported raw material are keen to locate their units in the park considering the Locational advantage.
- The prospective industries are in the business of manufacturing plastic machinery and plastic component/parts for automobiles, consumer durables & electronic items.
The lands can be allotted only for Polymer related Industries.
Increased use of Polymers in Auto Components, Ship building Components, Consumer Durables, Medical Appliances, Electronics and Electrical items, Agriculture, Horticulture and Irrigation items etc.
Restrictions in use of plastics may affect the growth of plastic industry.
- The park is very close to Ennore and Kattupalli port.
- The entire extent of land is in possession of TIDCO.
- Chennai has a strong plastic industries base.
- Presence of supporting institution viz. CIPET.
- Proximity to LNG terminal.
- Availability of skilled manpower at competitive rates.
- Conducive work culture.
Overall, the strengths and opportunities overweight the weakness and threat.
The proposed Park is situated at Voyalur and Puzhudivakkam Villages, in Ponneri Taluk, Thiruvallur District, Tamil Nadu and is approximately 30 km north of Chennai, the State Capital.
The location has a good connectivity in terms of road, rail, port and the same is given below:
The nearest highway and the main link to the proposed site is State Highway 56 (TPP road) which connects Thiruvetriyur, Ponneri, Panchetty. And the NH – 16 is located about 22 kms from the proposed project site.
Chennai International Airport is located at a distance of 45 km from the proposed
The Athipattu railway station is the nearest railway station which is located 3.30 km from the proposed project site, connecting Ennore port to athipattu.
There are 3 ports located near the proposed project site namely Ennore Port at 5 kms, Kattupalli Port at 6 kms, Chennai Port at 26 kms.
To ensure that all parts of the site are effectively connected with each other along with efficient traffic movements, a primary road of 3.6 km length of main carriageway with a ROW of 30m width connecting the two entries / exit is proposed. Further, 286.70m internal road with ROW of 30m and 604.50m internal road with ROW of 24m wide is proposed providing access to all the plots in the park.
The park can be approached thorough the proposed the Northern Port Access Road, which is located on the northern edge of the Polymer Industries Park. Alternatively, the park can also be reached through ash pipeline road at the south which needs to be upgraded for better accessibility to the park. Accordingly, it is proposed to develop a road of 2.20 km length with a ROW of 24m width from Ash pipeline road to NCTPS road which in turn connects to SH-56.
Storm water drainage system
A key design aspect of the Park would be the storm water disposal. Considering the topographic features and the levels at the site, a network of storm water drains parallel to the proposed road network (i.e.) for 4.58 Km has been planned to drain the storm water.
The total water requirement of the park with is estimated to be 1 MLD. Chennai Metro Water Supply and Sewage Board (CMWSSB) and Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited (CPCL) Desalination Plant have been identified as sources of water.
Since, CPCL desalination plant is located close to the site; the same will be utilized for sourcing required water for the park.
The Power requirement of the Park will be supplied by Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Co Ltd (TANGEDCO) from the Grid. TANGEDCO has informed that it will extend HT Supply to the park from Athipattu 230/110/33 KV substation which is located on the southern boundary of the project site.
Buildings and Common Enabling Facilities
- An administrative block in an area of 250 sq.m. shall be provided to house the office of the SPV. The block would pace way for extending necessary support services required for the units in the park.
- A technology Facilitation Center like Tool room & Training Centre is proposed in an area of 2.50 acres & it will be operated by CIPET.
- The Logistics zone comprising of third party logistics along with truck terminal is proposed on the western boundary of the park. An area of 6 acres is allocated for the same considering the overall handling quantum of raw materials and finished goods and the trucking movement associated with material movements.
- A canteen shall be constructed in an area of 400 sq.m.
- TANGEDCO will have an exclusive Grid for Servicing the member Industries.
Framework for recovery of
Annual maintenance charges for the common amenities and facilities like roads, street lighting, sanitation, drainage, common buildings, gardens, parks etc., including administrative overheads will from time to time be apportioned among the allottees in the park in which the above plot is situated.
Thus, the park does not require any budgetary support from Government for its operations.
- The SPV would be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the assets including common facilities. The SPV would adequately staff to carry out entire O & M activity in-house.
- The SPV would appoint a Project Manager for the park who would be assisted by a competent technical and financial team comprising of professionals with appropriate skill sets.